We feed our employees lunch every day—all 100+ individuals across four major cities. While we enjoy the camaraderie that family-style meals bring to our workplace, we’ve also experienced a positive return on our investment. Employees are more satisfied with their benefits and happy at work, thus creating a more productive, efficient work environment
Let’s take look at some cold hard stats:
- A recent study showed 4 out of 5 employees eat lunch at their desk
- Poor health costs the U.S. $576 billion a year, with $227 billion of that specifically tagged as lost productivity due to employee absenteeism
- 60 percent of more than 1000 people surveyed by a corporate caterer said that having food at the office makes them feel more valued and appreciated.
- Free food at work was one of the top employee perks of 2014
- Feeding your team could end up saving you $2.50-$4.50 per employee per day
When it comes to feeding your team, the benefits outweigh the cost. Let’s explore two examples:
Lunch without a team meal: 1.5 hours, lost productivity per employee
- 11:30am: Hmm, where do I want to eat today?
- 12:00pm: Walk to your favorite chain and order the same sandwich you got last week.
- 12:15pm: Wait for your meal, tweet about how hungry you are.
- 12:30pm: Food acquired!
- 12:45pm: Back at your desk, it’s finally time to eat.
- 1:00pm: Back to work.
Lunch with a team meal: 30 minutes, increased productivity
- 12:00pm: A fresh meal is delivered directly to your office. Employees eat together, teams collaborate, progress is made, and employees are back to work—happy at their desks—in no time.
We’ve all been through scenario number one. If you’re like us, we start thinking about lunch by late morning. We become distracted as we contemplate where we will eat come noon. When office catering is provided, all distractions are alleviated. Plus, rather than having your employees waste an hour standing in line at the corner deli, they’ll spend thirty minutes collaborating with co-workers over a family-style meal. Your team stays happy, and you’re left with a workforce that is collaborative, productive and energized for the rest of the afternoon.