By: Danielle Robertson
It’s winter in Chicago. You’re cold. You’re hungry. You’re not sure where to turn.
We’ve all been there—ignore your instinct to stock up on mac n’ cheese and go into hibernation. Instead, grab your friends, coworkers, or family members and hit up one of these local favorites. Whether you’re looking to embrace winter in the city or hoping for a quick escape, Chicago has plenty to offer.
To embrace winter:
- Bavette’s: Think tufted chairs, craft cocktails, and cozy booths that smell of rich mahogany. It just may be my favorite steakhouse in Chicago (bold statement).
- RM Champagne: Walk down the alley to access this hip West Loop spot, a cool French bistro with a crackling fireplace and candles all around.
- J Parker: View the Lincoln Park zoo lights and winter wonderland around you, all while safely enclosed in the rooftop dome. Feeling adventurous? Step outside and enjoy the fresh (errrr…freezing) air and fire pits.
- Cindy’s: This renovated rooftop restaurant is located in the historic Chicago Athletic Association with great views of Millennium Park, complete with seasonal food and drink menu offerings.
- Mindy’s Hot Chocolate: The name speaks for itself—grab a delicious dessert that will almost make you thankful for cold weather (and the indulgences that come with it).
To escape winter:
- Summer House: There’s a Countdown to Summer calendar next to the bar, in case you need a visual reminder. The best part—you can sample from the amazing dessert display without worrying about swimsuit season.
- Hampton Social: I don’t always spend summer in the Hamptons, but when I do, it’s at Hampton Social. Get that beachside vibe, even when there’s snow on the ground.
- Eataly: Yes, it can be busy and touristy, but it’s wine and cheese, people! You can spend hours walking around, scoping out the merchandise and various restaurants. Enjoy lunch, snack, drinks, dinner, dessert, fourth meal—all without being exposed to the elements.
- Bar Takito: Their bright colors, lively atmosphere and spicy food will warm you right up.
- Three Dots and a Dash: Transport yourself back to the 50’s Tiki Culture in this underground restaurant and bar. Pro tip: Order the Treasure Chest.
What are your favorite winter spots? Tell us in the comments! Or click here to learn more about our delicious Chicago catering services.
Danielle Robertson is a ZeroCater Account Executive in the Chicago Office.